Master in Finance and Strategy
The Master in Finance and Strategy is being integrated into the Sciences Po School of Management and Innovation launched in October 2016.
Current students will continue studying in their original Master's programme.
Their programme may undergo a few alterations related to the School's organisation for the 2017/2018 academic year.
The Master in Finance and Strategy prepares graduates for careers in finance and corporate strategy management, whether as analysts in banks or consulting firms or as managers in industrial or services companies.
Main orientations and specific features
This Master is organized around four key principles that sum up its specifi c features and objectives:
- balanced mix of courses in finance and strategy allowing students to analyze a situation in light of all its components. This educational method is particularly relevant for understanding the current crisis and the challenges linked to globalization of groups;
- the gradual introduction of courses aimed at smoothing out differences in profile in the first year, with the aim of attaining a sophisticated technical level in the second year;
- systematic use of case studies by teachers with high-level experience in professional practice;
- the international dimension of finance, with a strong emphasis on risk assessment, in international project engineering.
These principles underpin each of the three semesters of the program, which are followed by an end-of-study internship.
The mandatory courses in the first year allow students to master the essential concepts of finance in relation to the development and competitive environment of companies. Courses are also offered in economics, management and company law. Some 40 electives help students select one of two concentrations for the second year of the program.
- Strategy and Management
Graduates of the Master in Finance and Strategy are prepared to pursue the following careers:
- merger & acquisition advisor
- sovereign risk analyst
- management auditor in industrial companies
- acquisition and venture capital advisor or positions in the corporate finance departments of major companies
- project finance advisor in financial companies, investment banks or the international divisions of large companies
- consultant in management, organization or strategic consulting firms
- auditor in audit firms or in the internal audit department of groups
- financial analyst in companies or financial intermediaries
- Luigi Bocconi University in Milan (Italy)
- MGIMO in Moscow (Russia)
- Fundacao Getulio Vargas-Escola de Administração de Empresas in São Paulo (Brazil)
- University of St. Gallen in St. Gall (Switzerland)
- University of Pennsylvania Law School in Philadelphie (United States)
- Columbia University's School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA) in New York (United States)
The Finance concentration focuses on valuation methods and the instruments and players intervening in the financial markets. It prepares students for a career in merchant or investment banking. The electives focus in greater depth on issues such as raising funds, specific financing mechanisms, regulation and management of shareholders' equity.
Strategy and Management
The Strategy and Management concentration focuses more specifically on strategy consulting firms and industrial and service companies. It prepares students for financial (audit, internal audit, etc.), management or logistics functions.
Core courses in strategy, supply chain and the economics of industry are supplemented by courses focusing on innovation, competition and management of information systems.
The International Business concentration regroups the dual degrees programs.